The Inn History

1882: The Samuel Street Home – 1985: The Aerie Bed & Breakfast

The Aerie is a historic site in North Carolina that has been called home by a justice of the peace and hotelier, a State Senator, a social worker, and tenants that included a WWII nurse, a cousin of the Wright Brothers who happened to share Orville’s name, and the son of Pepsi-Cola inventor Caleb Bradham!

The Street-Ward House is the historical name of this Victorian inn in New Bern, NC. Built by Samuel R. Street Jr. in 1882, who occupied the home until 1900. The Alfred D. Ward family resided here for the better part of the 20th century. The earliest map to show the house, dated 1888, shows it to have had a typical open one-story front porch in the position of the present enclosed two-story porch. The porch was enclosed in the mid-1920s and the second-story porch was added. The three-sided bay windows, ornamented with pediment style hoods and apron panel are the original features of the home.

As constructed for Street, the house followed a center-hall plan, which was altered during the 20th century by the removal of a partition wall between the staircase and parlor. The original double entrance doors (left), now obscured by the porch enclosure, still retain their handsome etched-glass panels. The two centrally positioned interior chimneys served fireplaces in the front and rear rooms on both floors. Several of the original Victorian mantels were replaced during the Ward ownership with interesting Federal-period mantels. Rising to the rear of the hall, the stairs have a massive turned and faceted newel, turned balusters, and delicately sawn step-end brackets.

1908: The Roberts House – 2014: The Guest House at The Aerie Bed & Breakfast

The Roberts House is the historical name of The Guest House at The Aerie. Built by Frederick C. Roberts in 1908, who originally used it as a rental house. The family lived across the street in a Victorian-era home well known for its gardens, where the Robinson and Stith Insurance building now sits. The two-bay-wide gable front house originally had a full-width Colonial Revival front porch that was replaced by the current facade. The remaining small, recessed porch with its Tuscan columns and slightly projecting window bay, and period paneled front door. The small foyer contains a Colonial Revival staircase that rises in three runs with a flat-panel closet wall beneath. The current finishes have been altered to accommodate the current buildings use as The Guest House.